Diana Muriel Edmonds
Diana is an experienced trial lawyer and committed advocate. Diana has broad experience in civil litigation, with an emphasis on personal injury. Her litigation experience includes shareholder and partnership disputes, breach of contract, fraud and breach of trust, disability claims, wrongful dismissal, estate litigation, and professional liability.
Diana has conducted many trials, both jury and non-jury. She has successfully advocated her clients’ positions on motions, applications and appeals in proceedings at all levels of court in Ontario, including the Court of Appeal.
In addition to trial advocacy, Diana has successfully used alternate dispute resolution and negotiation to resolve disputes. She completed the Harvard Mediation course through the Advocates’ Society in 1996. She mediates the majority of her cases in an effort to explore cost-effective solutions for disputes. She has also been successful in arbitrations before the Financial Services Commission of Ontario (FSCO) and in the private arbitration process for securities disputes.
Diana is highly regarded among her peers in the legal community, consistently earning a BV® DistinguishedTM rating by the Martindale-Hubble Peer Review Ratings system.
Diana has volunteered consistently in organizations relating to the legal profession, sport, culture, and the community.
Diana was a director of the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association for 10 years, and a member of the executive committee for 5 of those years. She chaired various committees and was involved in efforts to ensure fair automobile insurance legislation for victims.
Diana was a director of a national sports organization for five years, the Canadian Freestyle Ski Association. She chaired the governance committee. She previously served as a director of Freestyle Skiing Ontario, where she led risk management and policy development.
Diana has been involved in committees of the Brain Injury Society of Toronto, the National Ballet of Canada Patron’s Council and she was on a fundraising committee for an Easter Seals event for 10 years.
Diana has spoken at conferences hosted by the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association, the Advocates’ Society and the Canadian Institute, and published articles in “The Litigator”, a magazine of the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association. Topics include:
• “Examinations for Discovery: The Examination is the Trial”
• “Getting the Best from your Experts in a Slip and Fall Case: the Plaintiff’s Perspective”
• “Ski Resort Liability”
• “Who Speaks for the Dead?”
• “Proving Disability from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: the Plaintiff’s Perspective”
• “Vicarious Liability of Employers”
• “Forensic Psychiatric Evidence”
• “The Top Ten Mistakes on Examination for Discovery”
Diana is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Advocates’ Society, the Canadian and Ontario Bar Associations, and the Toronto Lawyers Association.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Commercial Litigation
- Securities Litigation
- Shareholder Disputes
- Breach of Contract
- Estates Litigation
- Employment Litigation
- Professional Liability
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Ontario, 1982
- York University, Osgoode Hall Law School, North York, Ontario, Canada
- LL.B. – 1980
- University of Western Ontario
- B.A. – 1977
- Examinations for Discovery: The Examination is the Trial, The Litigator
- Getting the Best from your Experts in a Slip and Fall Case: the Plaintiff’s Perspective, The Litigator
- Ski Resort Liability, The Litigator
- Who Speaks for the Dead?, The Litigator
- Proving Disability from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: the Plaintiff’s Perspective, The Litigator
- Vicarious Liability of Employers, The Litigator
- Forensic Psychiatric Evidence, The Litigator
- The Top Ten Mistakes on Examination for Discovery, The Litigator
Honours and Awards
- BV® Distinguished™ Rating, Martindale-Hubble Peer Review Ratings system
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Ontario Trial Lawyers Association, Director
- Ontario Trial Lawyers Association, Member of the Executive Committee
- National Sports Organization, Director
- Canadian Freestyle Ski Association, Director
- Canadian Freestyle Ski Association, Governance Committee
- Freestyle Skiing Ontario, Director
- Law Society of Upper Canada, Member
- Advocates’ Society, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Ontario Bar Association, Member
- Toronto Lawyers Association, Member
Pro Bono Activities
- Brain Injury Society of Toronto
- National Ballet of Canada Patron’s Council
- Fundraising Committee, Easter Seals Event